Written By: Dr. Andrea Schnowske
1) A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support 9 tons which is 4 times as much as concrete!
2) When you sleep you grow 8mm by nutrient and water absorption in the discs of your spine, but you shrink back down after gravity forces press that hydration back out of your discs in the morning.
3) The focusing muscles of your eye move 100,000 times a day, if you worked your legs that much you'd have walked 50 miles.
4) The human body puts off enough heat in 30 minutes to boil a half gallon of water.
5) Female ovaries contain half a million egg cells but only about 400 ever mature to be able to create new life.
6) Male testicles produce 10 million sperm cells each day, which is enough to repopulate the planet in 6 months.
Innate intelligence is the driving force behind your body's ability to regulate your body temperature, blood sugar, the amount of nutrients you need to absorb from your food, the amount of oxygen your muscles need to survive without dying, the speed of blood being circulated through your body depending on what you're doing at that moment, and even the amount of sleep you need each night. It's also the force that directs your bones how to remodel to support your weight and directs your skin how to heal after you get a paper cut.
Want to hear some more weird and amazing facts about that body? Click here.
Dr. Andrea is eager to help people of all ages live healthier lives and enjoy a well-rounded lifestyle. She maintains a blog called Healthy Habits that shares helpful tips and insight on common conditions and concerns about everyday health. Click here to visit her blog. She also speaks about wellness topics in her local community and volunteers to help with local charity events.